Wild West Monday

The day's not over, so there's still time for you to participate in Wild West Monday. As organized by Gary Dobbs of The Tainted Archive, the initiative is to go to your local bookstore/library and inquire about Western literature. The intent is to show support for the genre, and let the bookstores know that there is still an audience for them. For more info, please visit The Tainted Archive.

I went to two bookstores today: the famous Strand Bookstore in Manhattan, and Spoonbill and Sugartown in Brooklyn. Sadly, neither store had a Western section, though I was able to pick up a new copy of Jack Schaefer's Shane for $3.50 and a vintage hardcover of Zane Grey's The Drift Fence for $6.00. I'll be sure to post a review of both books as soon as I read them.

Again, many thanks to Gary to organizing Wild West Monday. Long live the Western!

5 comments:

  1. I have been able to find several Zane Grey books in pristine condition and I see you have too. How old is your copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is from 1960. They had a bunch more and I couldn't decide on which book to get. I read all the synopses, and this one seemed like a good place to start. I'm hoping to go back and buy a few more, as they are all in really nice condition with dustjackets!

    Do you have any suggestions on other Grey titles to keep an eye out for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cullen,

    Thanks for the comment on Man of the West. It's a hell of a flick. If you check it out, I hope you'll write about because I'd love to see what you think of it.

    Great blog, by the way! I'm going to add it to my page. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riders of the Purple Sage is a must. In terms of collecting I'm looking for Betty Zane from 1903. I believe it's his first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for taking so long to comment. But thanks for your contributions to Wild West Monday. Great blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete

"Test Tube Baby" by Sam Fuller (1936)

Test Tube Baby is the second novel from Samuel Fuller (here credited as “Sam Fuller”). Published in 1936 by Godwin, Publishers, it is among...